When you start an e-commerce business, it is highly recommended to make a test order. This will let you test your store as a real customer and go through the entire item purchase journey in the e-shop.
Additionally, you will see how everything looks like from the e-shop owner's perspective: how to order products from the suppliers using Oberlo, and track your orders. Ordering a sample product will let you evaluate the delivery time, packaging, product quality and make your own product images to use later for advertising.
Note: In order to place a test order on your store, you need to pick a Shopify plan first if you don't have one yet.
In this article you will learn:
- How to set up the Shopify's Bogus Gateway to simulate a transaction, so you would not need to use your own money to place an order as a customer;
- How to place a test order in your e-shop;
- How to purchase products from the suppliers.
Note: To order products from the supplier, you will need to use your own payment card and pay for the product.
Find products and import them to your store
You need to have at least one product in your Shopify store to continue and place a test order. For that, you need to import the products you like to your import list and then import them to you store.
Set up Shopify Bogus Payment Gateway
1. Go to the Shopify admin > Settings > Payment Providers section.
2. If you have a credit card payment provider enabled, then deactivate it before continuing.
3. From the "Accept credit cards" section, click "Select provider" and select the (for testing) Bogus Gateway payment gateway.
4. Click "Activate".
That's it! You are ready to make some test orders!
Once you are done testing, do not forget to deactivate this payment gateway and activate your preferred payment provider. To do so, click "Edit" and then "Deactivate".
How to Place a Test Order
1. Go to your Shopify store www.[yourstorename].myshopify.com.
2. Find a product you want to order.
3. Add the product to the shopping cart and go to checkout.
4. Fill in your personal details and the shipping address: this is the address the products will be sent to.
5. Fill in the Shopify's Bogus Gateway payment details to simulate a transaction.
- Card number: 1
- Name: any name
- Date: any date in the future
- CVV: any 3 digits
6. To confirm the order, click "Complete order". The order will appear on the Orders page in the Shopify admin.
7. Go to the order detail page and capture the payment. Once you mark the order as paid, it will show up in the Oberlo dashboard. It can take up to 5 minutes to appear in Oberlo.
How to Purchase Products from Suppliers
Once you get an order in your Shopify store, you will need to purchase products from the supplier. To do so, you will need to go to the Oberlo dashboard and click on the orange "Order Products" button to initiate the ordering process.
The videos below explain how to place Oberlo Marketplace and AliExpress product orders.