If building a dropshipping store from the ground up isn’t a suitable option, then you might consider purchasing an existing store instead. You can find dropshipping store sellers on various social media groups, or you can use a dedicated platform like Exchange Marketplace.
On this page:
Purchase a store from Exchange Marketplace
Exchange Marketplace is a platform where you can buy and sell Shopify stores.
Benefits of Exchange Marketplace:
- Dedicated section for dropshipping and Oberlo stores;
- Wide selection. From starter stores, ready to start selling, to established businesses with regular traffic and orders;
- Verified store data. Listings display recent store data, imported directly from Shopify, so you can decide if the business and workload will be a good fit for your intentions;
- Secure transactions. All payments are safely managed in Escrow;
- Assisted transfer of ownership. The ownership of the account will be transferred from the seller to you by Shopify’s Exchange Marketplace team.
Before you can purchase or list a store on Exchange Marketplace, you need to meet some requirements. They help ensure that the ownership can be transferred to you, and that the payment is transmitted securely.
To buy a store from Exchange Marketplace, you need to meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Live in a country supported by Escrow.
A complete list of guidelines, as well as a list of countries not supported by Escrow, can be found in the Exchange user requirements article.
Explore online stores
To find businesses dropshipping with Oberlo, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Exchange Marketplace.
- In the top menu, click Browse > Business type > Oberlo stores.
Purchase process overview
When purchasing a store on Exchange Marketplace, you can expect the following steps:
- Search for a store you would like to purchase.
- Contact the seller, learn more about the store, and send them an offer.
- The seller accepts the offer, and creates an Escrow transaction.
- You are notified of the transaction. Accept the terms and submit payment. If accepted, then Escrow approves the transaction.
- The seller transfers the store and assets to you.
- In Escrow, you indicate that all assets have been received. Inspect the assets (referred to as the inspection period). Then, in Escrow, you indicate that all assets have been accepted.
- Within 3 business days, the Shopify Exchange Marketplace team will transfer the account ownership to you. You are notified when the transfer of ownership is complete.
- Your funds, held in Escrow, are transferred to the seller. The transaction becomes final, and it is no longer possible to return or cancel the purchase.
Contact the seller
After finding a business that you would like to purchase, contact the seller for more information. Then, determine whether the business is a good fit for you.
To contact the seller, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Exchange Marketplace, and create or login to your Exchange account.
- Open the listing of the business you want to contact.
- Click Contact Seller.
- Write your message to the seller, then click Contact Seller again to send it.
- When the seller replies, it will show up in your Buyer inbox.
To reach your Buyer inbox on a desktop, click your name, then click Inbox. To reach your Buyer inbox on a mobile device, click on the menu, then click Inbox.
Consider asking the seller the following questions:
- How much time does the current owner spend on the business?
- Are any special skills required to run the business?
- What sort of marketing does the current owner use to drive sales?
- What are the average operating costs each month?
- What are the average marketing costs each week?
- What are the profit margins of the products?
- What is included in the transaction? Are there additional assets?
- How often do customers contact the business for support? What are the most common topics?
- Can the seller show you tracking numbers to verify orders were fulfilled?
Purchase the store
If you decide you would like to purchase the store, you can send the seller an offer.
Be sure to ask the seller any questions you have about the business. After you purchase a store, it is not possible to return it, or reverse the transaction.
Exchange Marketplace uses Escrow to manage payments between buyers and sellers. Escrow provides a high level of security, and ensures that payment is not released until both parties agree the transaction is complete.
To send the seller an offer, follow these steps:
- Navigate to your Buyer inbox, and open the messages between you and the seller.
- Click Add offer, then enter how much you are offering for the store in USD. Offers must be at least 80% of the listing price.
- Click Send.
- If the seller accepts the offer, they will create a transaction in Escrow.
- You will receive an email from Escrow with further instructions for completing the payment.
Transfer Oberlo account ownership
Once you purchase a Shopify store, provide the seller with an email address for the Oberlo account, and agree on a temporary password that can be used during the transfer process.
Once you have taken ownership of the store, change your Oberlo account email address and password, and enter your payment card information to select a new Oberlo subscription plan if needed.
You can learn how to add a credit card or select a plan in the Changing your Oberlo subscription article.